Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Crossing by Joy Nash

Just finished reading Joy Nash's latest Immortals release--THE CROSSING. I'm a huge fan of her Druids of Avalon series, but this was her first dark contemporary paranormal I've read.

Joy sets up a totally believable alternative world, filled with both light and dark magic. I appreciate the fact that her spell-weavers must pay a price for each act of magic. It shows a sort of spiritual economy. Her view of Hell as a darkly twisted shopping mall completely resonated with me (Whip me. Beat me. Don't make me shop!) and her descent into the deepest circles of the abyss was very Dante-esque.

The love story between Mac Lir, a demigod, and the witch, Artemis Black was completely believable and I loved the way she wove her extremely hot love scenes with the conflict between their magic styles.

This book has one of the blackest black moments I've ever encountered in a romance, but the HEA payoff was that much sweeter for it. Well done, Ms. Nash!

Check out my Em Recommends page at www.emilybryan.com for more of my picks and recommended reads!

3 comments:

Cindy Holby said...

Sounds awesome. I can't wait to read it. Must get my own story going before I can allow myself some reading pleasure. Everything I've heard about this story has been great.

Adele Dubois said...

I'm reading Joy Nash's book in the first Immortals series: The Awakening. Joy is a wonderful writer!

Best--Adele Dubois

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recommendations Emily.

This book sounds great and I just know all those readers out there must be jumping for JOY.

So, many participated in her contest, but only the lucky few...50 got an early release.

It's cool to know that they all got a stunning book that will continue to keep them reading Joy.

Now, I've also got to find the time to sit down with my copy.

Tam