Monday, November 24, 2008

Even after you get out of school, tests suck.

If you've visited my blog before you know I urged everyone to get their mammogram done in October. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, so it's a topic near and dear to my heart. Early detection is key to a good prognosis. So I had my yearly mammogram and it came back clean. Then my doctor said, "You know, you haven't had a baseline colonoscopy yet."

"But I don't have any symptoms," I said.

"That doesn't matter," she assured me. "You deserve a screening."

Far be it from me to pass on something I deserve.

So I made the appointment for today. Knowing preparation for the test involves a rather nasty purge, I thought it might also be a way to rid myself of a couple of those pesky "cruise" pounds I just packed on. I very nearly cancelled the appointment anyway because it requires having an IV and I'm the original human turnip, but my DH wouldn't let me wiggle out of it.

And it's a good thing.

The doctor found a polyp, which he removed and a mass, which he could not. Now, I don't have any idea what this mass is. It's been biopsied and I have an appointment with a surgeon tomorrow. Looks like I may not be making my home-made noodles for Thanksgiving, after all.

I'm trying very hard to be positive. This could be any number of things. But, being the daughter of two cancer survivors, the Big C is the first thing that pops into my mind.

I'll let you know.


bookreviewsbybobbie said...

I hope everything turns out ok for you Em!
It sure is a horrible worry for you. I'm sure the results will come back negative.
My thoughts are with you…stay positive, if at all possible k?


EmilyBryan said...

Thanks for your positive thoughts, Bobbie. Please pray for my DH. He gained 5 sympathy pounds whenever I was pregnant and he's punishing his body this time too, but I feel fine. I felt fine when I went in. In fact, I almost walked away from the screening when they couldn't get the IV in (I'm the original human turnip!) and had to call for a real anesthesiologist. So this may be a false alarm, regardless of what it looked like to the first doctor. However, I have met with the surgeon and OK'd the removal of the bad stuff if it becomes necessary. I should know in about a week. In the meantime, I have a Thanksgiving dinner to fix! And I'm feeling very grateful for everything.

And also on the upside, in never hurts that my surgeon was cute enough to be a cover model!

bookreviewsbybobbie said...

You're welcome Emily.
I hope your DH realizes that you are going to be fine and stops 'punishing' himself. I can only imagine what he must be thinking though, I don't know what I'd do if I found out that my DH was in a potentially dangerous situation because of his health.
Though I’m sure it’s going to be fine!!

A sexy surgeon sure helps to boost moral ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! I hope you all have a fantastic time surrounded by yummy food, family and love!


boxing said...

My prayers are with you.

EmilyBryan said...

Thanks, Boxing. I appreciate every prayer that comes my way.