Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Duke for All Seasons~Chapter 7

Since January, I've had what I like to think of as a "play project" on my website. It's my free online novella A DUKE FOR ALL SEASONS. I went into this with a completely blank slate, thinking I'd add a chapter a month after input from readers about where the story should go.

I apologize for failing to add a new chapter in the month of July. I plead travel to visit family and working like a fiend to finish my current WIP. Guess my contractual obligations come first, but I take my promises to readers seriously too.

Readers have been giving me great suggestions for this story. I like the way Sebastian and Arabella are shaping up and I'm beginning to see a possible resolution for them in a few more chapters (I'm thinking there will be 11 or 12 in all.) Here's a link for the newest chapter.

There's a contest attached to the novella. If you make a plot suggestion, you're entered in the monthly drawing for a copy of STROKE OF GENIUS.

When I started the novella, my motivation was to give back to my current readers and offer new ones a chance to try my work without digging into their wallets. Since then, the value to me has been in the fascinating and sometimes very detailed suggestions from my readers. I always say a book is a conversation between the author and the reader. This is my chance to listen and I love it.

You've probably noticed that there is a cool new little gizmo at the bottom of this post. It allows you to post a link to this blog on your blog/facebook/twitter/ etc, or to send an email to a friend. I'd really appreciate it if you share that link with someone who enjoys reading romance. The more the merrier!

If you've been following the adventures of Sebastian and Bella, here's your chance to share what you think. Do you think "the Ice Duke" will ever thaw? How will Bella escape Fernand's control? Did you share the link with a friend?
Hope you enjoy A DUKE FOR ALL SEASONS.

4 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

What a great idea, Emily.

EmilyBryan said...

Thanks, Sandra. I've had a lot of fun with the novella and hope my readers have too.

Nynke said...

Hi Em,

I'm still loving the story! And it's very good to see Sebastian admit defeat :).

By the way, I can totally sympathize with the reasons why you didn't get round to writing a chapter last month! I'm in awe of your production and work ethic, regardless.

EmilyBryan said...

Thank you, Nynke. I suffered a few pangs over missing this self-imposed deadline. When I started this novella in January, I had one manuscript to turn in (which I did last February.) Getting the contracts for 6 plus a novella was the last thing I saw coming my way.

I think it was important for Sebastian to realize Arabella isn't going to be just another one of his long parade of mistresses. He'll have to take her on her terms or not at all.