Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

Wow. I don't know where to start.

Last year at this time, I'd just been informed that I had a colon cancer. A few weeks ago, my doctor confirmed there's been no recurrence. Every day in this unnecessarily beautiful world is such a gift and I thank God for my life.

I'm so blessed by my family, even though most of them live on the west side of the Mississippi. My DH is still the love of my life. That alone makes me the luckiest woman alive.

I get to spend my days dreaming up alpha heroes and making things up. I'm so thankful for my editor, my agent and to everyone who reads my books.

I'm embarrassed by the richness of my blessings. But oh, so thankful.

Today, like you, I'll be making a run to the grocery store, where the shelves will be full of wonderful things to eat. And tomorrow my DH will rave over my homemade noodles, whether they turn out well or not because he wants to encourage any sort of cooking to continue.

And the day after that, I'll pull out my Christmas decorations and make new memories in our condo (I love living here, but it always sort of feels like an extended vacation instead of home. Celebrating holidays make it more homey.) The craziness of the Christmas season will start in earnest, but right now, in this moment of quiet, I want to remember how blessed I am and to be thankful.

Oh! And I'm thankful for YOU--my cyber-friend.

I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and friends. If you're traveling, be safe. If you're deep-fat frying your turkey, make sure the fryer is a long way from anything flamable! And remember, calories don't count when you're feeling thankful. That's my theory and I'm running with it.

If you'd like to tell what you're thankful for, special recipes you think we'll enjoy (just keep them simple, please. Some of us are cooking-challenged!) or thanksgiving traditions you'd like to share, this is the place. I always enjoy hearing from YOU!

13 comments:

Barbara Monajem said...

I have a very easy sweet potato dressing recipe:

2 or 3 large sweet potatoes, baked until done
1/2 lb to 1 lb sausage meat, browned
Onion, celery, green and red peppers, (and mushrooms if you like), diced and sauteed, preferably in butter, but oil will do
Chopped parsley
Coarse bread crumbs to taste
Mix all the ingredients, adding oil, butter or a little water as needed to keep the mixture moist, and bake for about half an hour at 350 degrees.

Happy Thanksgiving!

EmilyBryan said...

Oooo! Sounds yummy. I'm doing yams this year. Think it would work with them as well?

Penny Watson said...

Emily, so glad you are healthy and happy this Thanksgiving! My favorite recipe...take some apple cider and put it on the stove, throw in some cinnamon sticks and spices, simmer, and then serve with a nice splash of apple brandy. :)

Jane L said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! Emily and family!

I like you am thankful for good health this year. My wonderful children! Amazing husband and yes all of my writing friends who have been so supportive of my new adventure as as aspiring writer! A huge thank you to all. To all my new cyber friends who bring laughter and sometimes tears into our lives! Thanks to all and many blessings to everyone!

EmilyBryan said...

Penelope--I used to do a variation on the cider by floating an orange with cloves punched into the rind. It smells wonderful.

EmilyBryan said...

Jane--In case you haven't seen it, the cover for STROKE OF GENIUS is up on my website. This is the one with the character you named in it! Happy Thanksgiving!

mrsshukra said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Emily!

EmilyBryan said...

Back at ya, Etirv! Thanks for sending me all the pics from paradise this year!

librarypat said...

Like you, I have very many blessings to be thankful for.
I love making pies, but don't very often because I'll eat them. I have no self control when it comes to dieting. I love mince meat pie and add my own touch. I use Nonsuch jar or block prepared as directed. To the basic filling I add diced tart apples (Macintosh or Granny Smith), chopped walnuts, grated orange rind, and some brandy. Try it and enjoy.
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

librarypat said...

Just popped over to the page with the cover and excerpt from Stroke of Genius. Lovely cover, but I was expecting the picture of Crispin to be the cover. It is really a very striking picture capturing his emotion and involvement with his art. I hope it is on the book somewhere.
Loved the excerpt. Can't wait for the book to be out.

EmilyBryan said...

Pat, I've never had a mincemeat pie. Guess I need to expand my world.

I too was hoping for that pic of Crispin on the cover, and lobbied for it, but alas! I have very little say in the matter. However, in a sea of headless torsos and clinches, this cover will certainly stand out!

Would you please send me your mailing info again through my website? My old computer died and I lost some things. I still need to send you the Spanish Erinsong for your library.

Thanks.

EmilyBryan said...

Barbara--I tried your dressing recipe (using yams instead of sweet potatoes since that's what I had on hand) and the fam really liked it. Thanks for sharing!

Barbara Monajem said...

So glad you liked the recipe, Emily! I made it today to go with our leftovers.