Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Reader Speaks

As a writer, I sometimes feel like I'm in the dark. Reviews are wonderful (and I'm grateful for every one!) but it's hard to gauge how a book is being received by readers. I won't know any actual sales numbers for over a year after a title's release, but even that won't tell me what a reader thinks about what they've read.

That's why I really love chatting with readers here and receiving emails through my website. Then yesterday, I ran across this reader review of A CHRISTMAS BALL on Amazon.

"I often buy Anthologies for one Author and usually the other stories included are not up to par. This is NOT the case with this book! I bought it for Jennifer Ashley's 4th installment of her Nvegarian series. Loved that story but thought Emily Bryan's story was even better. I will definitely be ordering more of her books. She made me laugh out loud, cry and thoroughly enjoy myself in 100 short pages but when the story was over I felt the story was well told and satisfying! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK for all 3 stories!" ~ J. Still from Bradenton, FL.


And she isn't even a relative of mine!

Publishing is a tough business. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something. That's why it's important to cherish every victory and try to keep a sense of perspective.

Thank you, Ms. Still. You made my day!

When I read a book, I feel as if I'm having a conversation (albeit one-sided!) with the author. Have you ever wanted to talk back to the writer? What did you want to say? Did you ever want to change the storyline?

PS. If you haven't entered my MERRY CHRISTMAS BALL CONTEST, there's still time. The drawing for the $100 gift card will be held December 1st! Please tell your friends!

9 comments:

Sherri Browning Erwin said...

I love your amazement-- and she's not even related to me! LOL! I go through that, too, when I get letters or reviews. "Wow, thanks! Wait... Is that you, Mom?" It's so nice when readers take the time to write or review.

Jane L said...

Good Morning Emily!

I love that as readers or writers we live in the world of technology of today! It makes it so easy to talk with our favorite authors,review books ect. I cant imagine what it was like for authors in the "olden days" before facebook, twitter and myspace LOL! I am sure they sat home trying to guess well I wonder if anyone bought my book today? This is an amazing time for writers and we should be thankful!!
Reminds me I must go to Amazon and write a review for the ladies!!

P.S. As an aspiring author I am building my platform and I have my very first web site up and running! I am so excited! www.janelange.com

EmilyBryan said...

What can I say? I was raised in the midwest. We're always amazed by our own success! (And being midwestern, I nearly struck out the word success and tried to substitute something else, lest it look like I was patting myself on the back!)

Anyway, I'm thrilled when a reader takes the time to write, whether they tell me they enjoyed my work or they have a suggestion for next time!

EmilyBryan said...

Jane! I love you site! (Here's Live Link for anyone who'd like to visit!) Building a platform wasn't a hotbutton when my debut came out, but it certainly is now. Smart to get a jump on things.

Yes, I'm so thankful for the internet. Otherwise I'd be typing and mailing replies and I'm a horrible typist. And worse at getting to the PO!

Jane L said...

Thank you Emily! Your support has meant a great deal to me!

Oh yes and I have a suggestion.....

Make more buttons for RT next year LOL!!!!!

EmilyBryan said...

My pleasure, Jane! And I'm looking into STROKE OF GENIUS buttons for RT!

Jane L said...

WHOOHOOO! I just read the cover is in for Stroke Of Genius! We have to wait until after Christmas, OH MY! I am so very excited for you!! I bet it is awesome! Lots of buttons Emily, Lots of buttons!

librarypat said...

From what I've read on author sites it is obvious most people don't appreciate just how much work and time it takes to research and write a book. After doing that, you have to sell it. From watching the few aspiring authors I know who are trying to get their work accepted, it is hard and very discouraging.
My copy of A CHRISTMAS BALL is sitting there waiting for Thanksgiving weekend. I can't wait to sit back, relax and enjoy it.

EmilyBryan said...

Thanks. Hope you love it, Pat!