Monday, November 16, 2009

Me? Superstitious?

Last Friday, I picked my DH up at work so he could get a jump on his weekend. (As city-dwellers, we're a one-car family.) Then about 45 minutes after we got home, we got back into the car to go someplace, and the thing would NOT start. (In fact, it's fancy little computer flashed that the start was "PREVENTED"!)

After trying several times, we gave up. Back in the condo, we blew two lightbulbs in less than five minutes, lost our phone and internet connection and decided that perhaps it was good that we were stuck at home if mini-disasters were set on following us around.

It was at that point that we looked at each other and said, "It's Friday the 13th."

This jinxed day has evil roots, being the date of the well-orchestrated mass murder of the Knights Templar, but I'd never really thought about there being anything sinister about a date. Now I'm wondering if sometimes the stars do align for negative outcomes.

What about you? Are you superstitious? Does a black cat scampering across your path give you the willies? Is there anything you avoid because of a superstition?

PS. FYI, the car started on the first try on Saturday morning! Go figure.

3 comments:

Jane L said...

Oh my Emily that was a run of bad luck! So yes, I avoid tarrot cards and fortune tellers, I don't know why but they give me the shivers!! I know RT always has this fortune teller thing on the last day and I seriously beat feet out of the hotel before they wake up even! It's kind of comical! My husband thought maybe being raised Catholic, it was taboo or something, I don't know maybe?

Jane L said...

I also just sent you a question under your contact Em section! THANKS!!!!

EmilyBryan said...

I too avoid psychics and readers. When I walk by their shops, I often wonder, "Do they know I'm not coming?"

The gift of knowing what's coming isn't one I particularly want. I think the ability to see into the future would be difficult to live with.

Dealing with today is enough.


Oh! I sent you back an answer to your question, Jane.