Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Time to Write the 2nd Chapter!

I'm thrilled that so many readers have read the first chapter of my FREE online novella, A DUKE FOR ALL SEASONS. When they voted for how the story should proceed, I got more than I bargained for! Some sent detailed suggestions for what should happen next, complete with the psychological motivations behind the characters' actions.

I have the most creative readers on the planet!

But it's time for me to take pen in hand and write the next chapter of Sebastian and Arabella's adventure. I'm still getting acquainted with them, but I'll bet they have some surprises in store for me.

I plan to post Chapter Two on February 1st. You can still enter the contest (the prize is a $100 gift card and you can enter three times--once in Jan, Feb and March!), but the story trajectory for this month has been pretty decisively determined by my readers' votes.

If you've read the first chapter, I have a question for you.

Why do you think Arabella agreed to transport the mysterious envelope across the Channel in the first place? (Wild speculation is absolutely encouraged!)

8 comments:

Carol L. said...

Hi Emily,
I'd think maybe she was being blackmailed and had no choice or maybe she was being paid an enormous amount of money (which she desperately needed)to carry it.
And may I add the picture for A Duke For All Seasons shows a very handsome and sensual looking Duke. lol Is that a picture of Jonathon Reese Myers from The Tutors ?
Carol Luciano
Lucky4750@aol.com

EmilyBryan said...

Good ideas, Carol.

I'm not sure who that totally dazed hunk is. I bought the pic at dreamstime.com to use for my Vexing the Viscount booktrailer and thought he was worth using again.

Jane L said...

Arebella always has a way with getting herself into trouble even when there's no trouble to get into. So being the curious kitten that she is, she has decided to embark on this mysterious delivery. But will find herself a little overhead in this situation?

Nynke said...

I think she must have been blackmailed into the delivery - she seems very clear in her aversion of the bad guy and his business. I was thinking maybe she fell in love with someone she shouldn't have on the continent, and the bad guy was going to use that against her? Although I guess in a time before photography, things like that would rely only on witnesses, and therefore on hearsay... That might not work. Except if she bore a child out of wedlock, but that would be sad...
I also like Carol's suggestion that she might need an enormous amount of money - maybe she's using it to take care of someone she loves - a family member, or a child, or a friend?

EmilyBryan said...

Excellent ideas all. I'll stir them into the creative soup and see what pops up!

Janet Kay Gallagher said...

I think her love child, living with her mother was threatend if she did not take it. She was surprised at the person who came to pick it up. Now she thinks he or someone he is working for, are the ones who are a threat to her child.

Janet Kay Gallagher said...

Did not read comments before writing mine.
RE:Previous comment. In The older times. Even as I grew up.
One evil tongue could destroy a reputation so fast. Reputation was closely guarded.

EmilyBryan said...

Janet--I think I should share that any woman connected with the theatre at this time would have a reputation for being shockingly fast. No woman with aristocratic connections would sing in public (not even if she was talented enough to be a professional). Well-bred women sang only for their families and small gatherings of friends. So Arabella's reputation is already in tatters.

Which also explains why Sebastian is so confident he'll succeed in making Arabella his mistress. Being a duke's mistress was about as high as a singer might reach.