Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Whose Hand is That?



So my DH was looking at the shiny new Vexing the Viscounts that had come in a big box from Dorchester. His eyebrows drew together and he tipped the book sideways. Then he pointed to the hand partially hidden by the lettering of the title and asked, "Whose hand is that?"

I picked up a copy and squinted at it. I'd been so taken with the yearning between Daisy and Lucian (and his Colin Firth-ish good looks) I hadn't really studied the rest of the art work. From the breastbones down, my characters have quite a game of Twister going on. I think I have it figured out now, but just off the top of your head, whose hand is resting on Daisy's lap?

And while we're on the subject of covers, I thought I'd remind you this St. Patrick's day, that I did once write a romance set in Ireland under my Diana Groe pen name.

She's an Irish princess. He's a Viking raider. Their very births should have made them bitter foes. But sometimes, love doesn't recognize the enemy until it's too late. This story won a rare All About Romance Desert Isle KEEPER Review. And ERINSONG is available at Amazon and B&N.com


Foreign rights to many of my titles have sold, but I have more ERINSONG covers than any other. Here's how my Irish story appeared in German.



This is how the Italians visualized my big hairy Vikings. Love the dragonship and the heroine Brenna's emerald green gown.




Thanks to one of my Dutch readers (you know who you are, Nynke!) I found the Dutch version of ERINSONG online. Is it just me or does it look like there's a little friendly bondage going on here? My hero Jorand certainly seems to be strapped to the neck of the dragonship. And he doesn't seem to mind.

Hope you enjoyed my stroll down book cover lane. Don't forget to leave a note letting me know whose hand you think is on Daisy's lap.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Emily! Hope you are feeling better! Hmmm lets see I believe it is Daisy's hand on her lap. I love the cover it just says intrigue me! HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!

Nynke said...

Hi Emily!

Every time I'm not really looking atit, I think it's Lucian's hand. And then I find out it's Daisy's again :).

Erinsong's is really a good cover to have up on your blog today, isn't it? Never more apt :).

EmilyBryan said...

Jane--The cold is going away. Thanks for the well-wishes.

Nynke--I had to puzzle it out a bit at first. Then I got to thinking, I wonder if I could parlay this into the type of frenzy Christina Dodd generated over her 3-handed heroine years ago. She still has that infamous cover posted on her website! The mistake sold more books than a perfect cover would have! LOL!

LuAnn said...

I think it looks like Daisy's hand. Jane is right. The cover is intriguing!

EmilyBryan said...

Hi LuAnn,

I think you're right, but I had to study it a bit to be sure!

Anonymous said...

It's funny how the VEXING covfer one of those things that doesn't really come to light until you look at it. I'm pretty sure it's Daisy's hand, too, though Lucian sure won't get very far if she keeps it there.

I loved seeing all the covers from your foreign books. I'm pretty sure that last one is the same art from our edition of Sandra Hill's MY FAIR VIKING. I actually remember the model coming into the office (a rare and memorable occasion indeed)to pick up his check and our art director coming out to meet him and saying, "Oh, are you my fair viking?" and then getting horribly embarrassed when she realized what it sounded like.

Anonymous said...

Dang, I wish I could edit myself after submitting.

...VEXING cover is one of those things...

Geez.

EmilyBryan said...

LOL, Leah! I'm so glad even editors need an edit now and then!

Yes, it's definitely Daisy's hand and fortunately, we both know she doesn't leave it there. ;)

I think the European market recycles lots of our covers. If I was lucky enough to score one of Sandra Hill's old ones for my Dutch ERINSONG, I'm happy!