Monday, July 6, 2009

Guest Blogger Phyllis Campbell

Sometimes, I host guests here on my blog. Today please welcome Phyllis Campbell. As always when I have a guest, my words are in bold and my guest is speaking in italics. Take it away, Phyllis!

The Wait Is Over!

A few years ago, I started a Victorian series, the stories mainly around three brothers: Nicholas Fielding, Gregg Fielding, and Ian Fielding. My reader started with MY HEART BELONGS TO YOU (out of print), and was introduced to Ian. Then MY KNIGHT, MY ROGUE (out of print) came out, and readers were introduced to a secondary character, Nicholas. In ALWAYS, MY LOVE, readers devoured Nick’s story and got to know his younger brother, Gregg. Also, in VOWS OF DECEPTION, Gregg was brought back to be the secondary character. Now…the wait is over, and Gregg’s story is here in LOVE COMES BLINDLY!!! All these books have been published with Champagne Books.


Love Comes Blindly

If love isn’t blind to past indiscretions, can absence truly make the heart grow fonder?

Lord Gregory Fielding has been wounded when he travels to Scotland to find the next big story for his London newspaper. Now blinded, he relies on the soft, comforting touch of one of the nurses at St. Mary’s Abbey. He thinks she’s a novice, but that doesn’t stop him from wanting to make her sigh in passion.

Madeline O’Neil cannot believe her misfortune. The man she had almost married three years ago is back in her life. Gregg doesn’t know who she is and she doesn’t dare tell him. Not until she makes him like the new Madeline. But as each day passes and her heart grows fonder, she fears he’ll hate her for certain once his eyesight returns. Especially when he discovers the secret she’s been keeping from him for three years…

I’ve received my FIRST review for this story, and I’m thrilled! I was dancing on the ceiling when The Romance Studio gave me this review:
5-Hearts!!! Ms. Phyllis Campbell did a great job of writing this book and keeping this fast-paced story moving at the speed which defied monotony. She created her main characters so that there were multiple levels to their personalities. This just made the couple more than fascinating. The supporting cast members were believable and the plot was so remarkable that it was almost impossible to put it down. The sensuality between the couple was incredible. Campbell definitely knows how to put the sizzle in a relationship. The tension written into the script just showed her ability to capture her readers. The myriad of poignant scenes captivated me and I’m so glad to have read this story. The surprises were non-stop. I loved this book and highly recommend it to others.~~ Brenda / The Romance Studio

Here’s a teasing blurb from my story. I hope the tease works… heehee


Gregg really didn’t want to call her Sister. He wanted to think of her as a real woman, not a nun. The tingles racing through his body reminded him how pleasurable a woman’s touch could be.

She moved to stand, but he grasped her hand and pulled her back down to the bench. “Mary, thank you for telling me. I feel I know you better now.” He rubbed her soft fingers.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have told you, but I feel like I know you better, too.”

He nodded.

“And Lord Gregg?”

“Yes?”

“Please call me Sister Mary.”

He grinned. “I know you’re not a nun.”

“But it’s not proper to call me Mary. I would hate to explain this to the other nuns.”

“Indeed, so I will only call you Mary when we’re alone.” He shook his head and chuckled. “It’s hard to think of you this way. I feel we’ve become close friends.”

“We have.”

“I wish... I wish I could see. I want to see your face. I’ll bet you’re beautiful.”

Taking both of her hands in his, he pulled her closer. Soft, delicate fingers rested in his palms. He ran the pad of his thumb across each finger. Slim. He suspected her body would be this way, too. Slowly, he moved his touch to her wrist, which was also small. As he continued up her arms, she stiffened. He waited for her to stop him or pull away, but she did neither.

He paused again when he reached her shoulders. A slight quiver came from her. Cautiously, he moved his fingers over her collarbone to her neck. Smooth skin met his fingertips, as did a wild pulse. Her throat moved in what must have been a swallow, and he copied that movement with his own, trying to add moisture back into his suddenly dry mouth.

Had he been the first man to touch her like this since she studied to become a nun? The thought thrilled him and made him want to keep touching. Small gasps came from her, and he enjoyed hearing them.

He continued up her slim neck toward her face. Quick, hot breaths exhaled from her mouth and fanned his skin. Excitement gushed through him, and his own breathing became ragged. His manhood stood at attention as encouragement to do more. He’d never became this aroused by touching a woman, especially with her clothes on. And to think he didn’t know what she looked like. Yet for some reason, it didn’t matter.

She had a small chin, and when he reached her dry lips, they were parted. He couldn’t stop from sweeping his thumb across her bottom lip. He wanted so much to stroke her tongue, and he struggled to keep from pushing the tip of his thumb into her mouth.

Licking his own parched lips, he continued the exploration and moved his fingers over high cheeks before stroking closed eyelids. Long, thick lashes tickled his skin. When he touched her hair, she sighed, and he nearly joined his voice with hers. Soft, silky, and curly, a lock of hair brushed his fingers.

He imaged what she looked like, and Mary was very lovely.

He dropped his fingers to her mouth again. This time they were moist. She must have licked her lips. His arousal ached with need. How he wanted to kiss her.

“You’re a very beautiful woman, Mary,” he said huskily. “I imagine your eyes are an amazing color, also. Let me see if I can guess.” He paused for only a moment. “Green...no, they’re blue. No, they’re turquoise.” Her gasp made him smile.

“How did you know?”

“I’ll confess. My friend, Lord Calvin, told me.”

She took his hands from her face and pushed them away. “I need to get you back to your bed now. Afternoon prayer time will be starting soon, and then I will have to help prepare the mid-day meal.”

Her voice wasn’t sensual any longer. Instead, it was edged with panic. Had he disturbed her as much she disrupted his thoughts?

She moved around him and pushed his wheelchair. By her hurried steps, he knew that he’d upset her. His heart ached. That was the last thing he wanted to do.

“Mary?”

“Sister Mary, please.”

He scowled. She really didn’t sound like a nun. She didn’t smell like a nun, and she didn’t gasp like one, either.

“What do you want, Lord Gregg?”

“I want you to call me Gregg.”

Her long pause made him hold his breath.

“If you wish,” she said.

“I do. I also want to tell you I’m sorry.”

The wheelchair slowed. “Thank you.”

“Do you know what I’m apologizing for?”

“Yes.”

“Sister Mary? May I ask you another personal question?”

“No.”

He chuckled. Her reply came too quickly. “Have you let other men touch you like that since...you came to live at the Abbey?”

She expelled her breath and it blew across his neck. He grinned. Yes, he disturbed her, to be sure.

“Lord...umm, I mean Gregg, I’ve made many mistakes in my past. I’m not immune to a man’s touch.”

“But you haven’t allowed a man to touch you since?”

“No.”

“Is that why your heart was racing?”

“Yes. But, Gregg, you can never do that again. Do you understand? I...cannot have those feelings.”



~~Phyllis~~

www.phyllismariecampbell.com


Thanks for stopping by, Phyllis!

Please leave your comments and questions for her here. (And be sure to stop by my STROKE OF GENIUS Name A Character Contest and cast your vote for the best name! You might win a whole box of beachreads!)

11 comments:

Carol L. said...

Good morning Emily and Phyllis,
Phyllis I love your books. And I loved the excerpt you posted. Now I'll have to get it to follow Gregg and Mary. Thank you for the post.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Heather D said...

Good Morning Emily and Phyllis.

The book sounds amazing, Im adding it to the TBR pile as we speak. The excerpt was great.

Phyllis Campbell said...

Hi Carol & Heather! I'm so glad my story sounds exciting. I'm excited about this one, yet sad to see these characters come to a close. My Victorian-set romances were fun to write!

~Phyllis~

Jane L said...

Hello Phyllis, I am sorry I have not read your work yet, but I am so looking forward to it!! I love Victorian set romances! Thank you for the great tease!!

Phyllis Campbell said...

Hi, Jane. I'm glad you loved my tease. (wink) My reviewers always make that comment on my stories - that I love to tease. lol

~Phyllis~

ibeeeg said...

Wow! Phyllis - That excerpt is something else. I know I must read this book as it sounds exciting.
I am also thinking I am going to like the premise of Gregg and Mary.
Thanks for sharing.

Phyllis Campbell said...

Thanks, ibeeeg. Wish I knew your name... lol I do hope you enjoy this book.

~Phyllis~

EmilyBryan said...

I'm always wondering how ibeeeg got her online name!

Patricia Barraclough said...

Welcome, Phyllis. I'll have to search the thrift stores for your out of print books. Actually, I need to search my shelves and boxes of books I want to read some day. Sounds like a really good story. I'll have to make sure I get them all.

Phyllis Campbell said...

Patricia, I hope my books are in the thrift shops. (crossing fingers) But they are also available at Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

~Phyllis~

EmilyBryan said...

Thanks for coming by, Phyllis and best wishes for LOVE COMES BLINDLY!